Indian Education for All Online Book Club Course
Early Childhood Literature
This online, self-paced course covers IEFA literature for children ages 2-6. The course can be taken for 30 OPI renewal units or 2 University of Montana semester credits.
1. Read a number of American Indian-themed picture books suitable for use in the early education classroom.
2. Explore ways to give students concrete experiences to help them relate the text to real life, build vocabulary, and develop a respect for differences.
3. Learn or review the Seven Essential Understandings Regarding American Indians and the Montana Early Learning Standards.
4. Develop a number of lessons to teach in your classroom incorporating American Indian Literature.
5. Complete one final project of your choice.
6. Those seeking graduate credit will also choose one additional project.
Participants will explore resources developed by the Office of Public Instruction alongside primary source documents and carefully selected literature. Most required materials will be provided in the course Moodle, though participants may need to seek additional resources at school or public libraries, book sellers, or online as part of the course requirements. Previous knowledge of IEFA and the Essential Understandings is helpful but not necessary for participants to successfully complete the course; prerequisite content will be provided for participant’s perusal.
This is a self-paced course, but do not expect to complete it in one sitting! Course participants must be comfortable working independently and be self-motivated to complete all work within the flexible time frame.
You can register for the course now or any time before July 31, 2020; with course completion by August 31, 2020.
Michele McGuire (email@example.com)
Registration fee: $250
Credit: 30 OPI Renewal Units or *2 Semester Credits pending (semester credit is offered through the University of Montana and is an additional fee of $155. The course instructor will provide a separate registration form). The total cost savings is 40% by going through WMPLC to get university continuing education credits.
THE COURSE PROCESS:
* Complete this form.
* Within a few days, you will receive an invoice via email.
* Pay the invoice/registration fee (online or by check) in order to begin.
* You will receive a username and password and steps to access the Moodle course.
* The instructor will send an introductory email.
* If you are taking the course for OPI renewal units, WMPLC will send you OPI renewal units upon completion of the semester (Summer 2020).
* If you are taking the course for University of Montana semester credits, complete the course and submit the form and additional payment of $155 by the following date: Summer 2020 semester: July 31, 2020. The semester credit registration form will be shared with you when your registration is received. You will then need to send the completed semester credit form and payment to your instructor by the date listed above. The instructor will collect all of the registration forms and send them together to the U of M at the end of the semester.
Obtaining copies of the books: Check your school /district or local library. Amazon and other online booksellers often have used copies available. The instructor is available to assist with locating copies, if needed. All books are available as read alouds.
You will read all of these throughout the course. They are sorted by suggested age for your reference and convenience.
Alexie, S. (2016). Thunder Boy Jr. Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Camp, R. (2013). Little You. Orca Book Publishers
Camp, R. (2016). We Sang You Home. Orca Book Publishers
Flett, Julie (2014). We All Count: A Book of Cree Numbers. Native Northwest Press
Minnema, C. (2014). Hungry Johnny. Minnesota Historical Society Press
Smith, M. (2018). You Hold Me Up / Ki Kîhcêyimin Mâna. Orca Book Publishers
Child, B. (2018). Bowwow Powwow. Minnesota Historical Society Pres
Cuthand, B. (1999). Little Duck Sikihpsis. Turtleback
Maillard, K. (2019). Fry Bread. Roaring Brook Press
Sorell, T. (2018). We Are Grateful: Otsaliheliga. Charlesbridge Publishing
Campbell, N. (2017). A Day with Yayah. Crocodile Books
Harjo, J. (2000). The Good Luck Cat. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Robertson, D. (2016). When We Were Alone. Highwater Press
Tribes, C. (2008). Beaver Steals Fire. Bison Books
Event Number: 21521014
EDU 455 and C&I 555
Register at https://forms.gle/nutGeCJZnsuyDV216