Overcoming Underachievement in Students - Focus on Gifted Students (Online, Self-Paced Moodle Course)
Course description: This two-credit course is for individuals who would like to gain a better understanding about academic underachievement in the gifted student population. Participants will learn about identifying underachievement, its causes, and explore ways to reverse it. The course will look more closely at underachieving student profiles and how students, parents, and teachers can work together to overcome underachievement.
This course is the equivalent to 30 classroom hours (30 OPI renewal units), which is the equivalent of 2 university credits. This is a self-paced course, but do not expect to complete it in one sitting! Course participants must be comfortable working independently and be self-motivated to complete all work within the flexible time frame.
Registration fee: $250
Credit: 30 OPI Renewal Units or * 2 Semester Credits pending (semester credit is offered through the University of Montana and is an additional fee of $155. The course instructor will provide a separate registration form). The total cost savings is 41% by going through WMPLC to get university continuing education credits.
THE COURSE PROCESS:
* Complete this form.
* Within a few days, you will receive an invoice via email.
* Pay the invoice/registration fee (online or by check) in order to begin.
* You will receive a username and password and steps to access the Moodle course.
* The instructor will send an introductory email and you may begin the class.
* If you are taking the course for OPI renewal units, WMPLC will send you OPI renewal units upon completion of the semester.
* If you are taking the course for University credits, the semester credit registration form will be shared with you when your registration is received. You will then need to send the completed semester credit form and payment to your instructor by the end of the semester for which you are enrolled. The instructor will collect the UM credit paperwork and payments from all participants and send them together to the University of Montana by December 30, 2021 (fall term), May 15, 2022 (spring term), or August 31, 2022 (summer term). The participant’s paperwork will be submitted to UM for the term in which they finish the coursework.
The Underachieving Gifted Child - Recognizing, Understanding, and Reversing Underachievement by Del Siegle, Ph.D. ISBN 978-1-59363-956-3
Doing Poorly On Purpose - Strategies to Reverse Underachievement and Respect Student Dignity by James R. Delisle ISBN 978-1-4166-2535-3
Obtaining copies of the books: Check your school /district or local library. Amazon and other online booksellers often have used copies available. The instructor is available to assist with locating copies, if needed.
Event Number: 22530000
EDU 455/EDU 555
Instructors: Kim Watterson, M.Ed. firstname.lastname@example.org
Darla Williams, M.Ed. email@example.com
Register at: https://forms.gle/PXUb56vJXBATotPNA