Indian Education for All Online Book Club Course
Plants in Montana Native Cultures
This self-paced online course is worth 3 credits or 45 OPI Units. Most required materials will be provided in the course Moodle, though participants may need to seek additional resources at school or public libraries online as part of the course requirements. Previous knowledge of IEFA and the Essential Understandings is helpful but not necessary for participants to successfully complete the course.
1. Develop personal background knowledge of Indian Education for All (IEFA) by diving deeply into the Essential Understandings of Montana Indians.
2. Learn about native plants and their historical (and current) significance to local Montana tribes.
3. Design comprehensive lesson plans and instructional activities that integrate the materials and concepts covered as well as self- selected supplemental materials.
4. Work to integrate IEFA with NextGen science standards.
5. Complete a final project which integrates the materials and concepts covered.
This course is the equivalent to 45 classroom hours (45 OPI renewal units), which is the equivalent of 3 university credits. This is a self-paced course, but do not expect to complete it in one sitting! Course participants must be comfortable working independently and be self-motivated to complete all work within the flexible time frame.
Registration fee: $350
Credit: 45 OPI Renewal Units or 3 Semester Credits (semester credit is offered through the University of Montana and is an additional fee of $155. The course instructor will provide a separate registration form). The total cost savings is 50% by going through WMPLC to get university continuing education credits.
THE COURSE PROCESS:
* Complete this form.
* Within a few days, you will receive an invoice via email.
* Pay the invoice/registration fee (online or by check) in order to begin.
* You will receive a username and password and steps to access the Moodle course.
* The instructor will send an introductory email and you may begin the class.
* If you are taking the course for OPI renewal units, WMPLC will send you OPI renewal units upon completion of the semester.
* If you are taking the course for University credits, the semester credit registration form will be shared with you when your registration is received. You will then need to send the completed semester credit form and payment to your instructor by the end of the semester for which you are enrolled. The instructor will collect the UM credit paperwork and payments from all participants and send them together to the University of Montana by December 30, 2021 (fall term), May 15, 2022 (spring term), or August 31, 2022 (summer term). The participant’s paperwork will be submitted to UM for the term in which they finish the coursework.
Obtaining copies of the books: Check your school /district or local library. Amazon and other online
booksellers often have used copies available. The instructor is available to assist with locating copies, if
Registration BONUS: When you register for an IEFA course, if we have the books for the course in stock, we will send them to you for free! If we don't have them in stock, we will send you at least 2 titles related to the course for which you are registered.
Instructor: Michele McGuire (email@example.com)
Event Number: 22521007
EDU 455/EDU 555
Register at https://forms.gle/Bcm7eKz7nhpg71dU9