Self-paced Online Moodle Course
Current Events in Indian Country: An inquiry-based approach
In this self-paced, online Moodle course, participants will learn inquiry-based teaching and learning strategies to use in their classrooms. Each participant will apply these strategies to explore a contemporary American Indian issue as part of a class-wide inquiry, and an additional American Indian issue of his or her choosing for the free-inquiry portion. This course requires participants to be self-directed and highly motivated, a background in inquiry or American Indian issues is not necessary.
*Develop personal background knowledge around contemporary American Indian issues.
*Explore the inquiry-based approach to learning and teaching by participating in Inquiry as both teachers and students.
*Design a structured inquiry to use in their classrooms.
*Reflect on ways to integrate IEFA into their content area using an inquiry-based approach.
*Demonstrate comprehension of the content through the completion of two student-led inquiries: One guided and one self-directed.
*Explore the learning process by participating in weekly forum discussions and completing readings and related assignments.
*Design and complete a free-inquiry, which includes a final, original product as a reflection of their learning and understanding.
*Create a detailed, IEFA integrated inquiry-based unit within their content area to use in their classrooms (graduate credit only).
This course is the equivalent to 45 classroom hours (45 OPI renewal units), which is the equivalent of 3 university credits. This is a self-paced course, but do not expect to complete it in one sitting! Course participants must be comfortable working independently and be self-motivated to complete all work within the flexible time frame.
You can register for the course now or any time before April 15, 2021; with course completion by May 15, 2021.
Registration fee: $350
Credit: 45 OPI Renewal Units or 3 Semester Credits (semester credit is offered through the University of Montana and is an additional fee of $155. The course instructor will provide a separate registration form). The total cost savings is 50% by going through WMPLC to get university continuing education credits.
THE COURSE PROCESS:
* Complete this form.
* Within a few days, you will receive an invoice via email.
* Pay the invoice/registration fee (online or by check) in order to begin.
* You will receive a username and password and steps to access the Moodle course.
* The instructor will send an introductory email.
* If you are taking the course for OPI renewal units, WMPLC will send you OPI renewal units upon completion of the semester.
* If you are taking the course for University of Montana semester credits, complete the course and submit the form and additional payment of $155 by May 15, 2021. The semester credit registration form will be shared with you when your registration is received. You will then need to send the completed semester credit form and payment to your instructor by the date listed above. The instructor will collect all of the registration forms and send them together to the U of M at the end of the semester.
Obtaining copies of the books: Check your school /district or local library. Amazon and other online booksellers often have used copies available. The instructor is available to assist with locating copies, if needed.
Event Number: 21521034
EDU 455 EDU 555
Instructor: Michele McGuire
Register at: https://forms.gle/DGeN56oFD57uPJ876