Indian Education for All Online Book Club Course
The History of Indigenous Resistance Movements
The resources used in this online course targets high school students and adult learners; however, teachers of all grades and content areas will build background knowledge and learn instructional strategies that will facilitate the integration of Indian Education for All. Participants will read and review the Essential Understandings of Montana Indians and access various resources related to the long history of indigenous resistance. All reading and viewing materials will be linked in the course. One exception is the documentary film, 100 Years: One Woman’s Fight for Justice. Every Montana school library should have a copy of the video.
Indigenous peoples around the world have been on the frontlines of conflicts like Standing Rock for centuries. This course brings together the work of Indigenous and allied activists and scholars: anthropologists, historians, environmental scientists, and legal scholars, all of whom contribute important insights into the conflicts between Indigenous sovereignty, civil rights, environmental justice and colonialism. The Essential Understandings Regarding Montana Indians will serve as a guide for critical analysis of the course content.
Through readings, examinations of high-quality and authentic literature and teaching materials, participants will explore a variety of literature and professional teaching materials and develop strategies, a lesson plan and a final project for the immediate integration of IEFA into their classrooms.
This course is the equivalent to 30 classroom hours (30 OPI renewal units), which is the equivalent of 2 university credits. This is a self-paced course, but do not expect to complete it in one sitting! Course participants must be comfortable working independently and be self-motivated to complete all work within the flexible time frame. WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU DON'T REGISTER FOR MORE THAN TWO COURSES AT ONE TIME.
Sindie Kennedy (email@example.com)
Registration fee: $260
Credit: 30 OPI Renewal Units or 2 Semester Credits (semester credit is offered through the University of Montana and is an additional fee of $155; registration forms available in the course Moodle.)
Cost savings: Two U of M Undergraduate credits would cost you $952.60. Two U of M Graduate credits would cost you $1,067. WMPLC's courses save you 56% and 61% respectively; but can't be used towards a degree program. They CAN be used for salary schedules and license renewal.
THE COURSE PROCESS:
* Complete this form.
* Within a few days, you will receive an invoice via email.
* Pay the invoice/registration fee (online or by check) in order to begin.
* You will receive a username and password and steps to access the Moodle course.
* The instructor will send an introductory email and you may begin the class.
* If you are taking the course for OPI renewal units, WMPLC will send you OPI renewal units upon completion of the semester.
* If you are taking the course for University credits, you will need to send the completed semester credit form and payment to your instructor by the end of the semester for which you are enrolled. The instructor will collect the UM credit paperwork and payments from all participants and send them together to the University of Montana by August 15, 2022 (summer term), December 1, 2022 (fall term), May 15, 2023 (spring term), or August 15, 2023 (summer term). The participant’s paperwork will be submitted to UM for the term in which they finish the coursework.
Obtaining copies of the books: Check your school /district or local library. Amazon and other online booksellers often have used copies available. The instructor is available to assist with locating copies, if needed.
Registration BONUS: When you register for an IEFA course, if we have the books for the course in stock, we will send them to you for free! If we don't have them in stock, we will send you at least 2 titles related to the course for which you are registered.
Event Number: 23521021
EDU 455 EDU 555
Register at: https://forms.gle/atZmuS1wS7pYf7DJ9