Indian Education for All Online Book Club Course
Plants in Montana Native Cultures
This self-paced online course is worth 3 credits or 45 OPI professional development units. Most required materials will be provided in the course Moodle, though participants may need to seek additional resources at school or public libraries online as part of the course requirements. Previous knowledge of IEFA and the Essential Understandings is helpful but not necessary for participants to successfully complete the course.
1. Develop personal background knowledge of Indian Education for All (IEFA) by diving deeply into the Essential Understandings of Montana Indians.
2. Learn about native plants and their historical (and current) significance to local Montana tribes.
3. Design comprehensive lesson plans and instructional activities that integrate the materials and concepts covered as well as self- selected supplemental materials.
4. Work to integrate IEFA with NextGen science standards.
5. Complete a final project which integrates the materials and concepts covered.
This course is the equivalent to 45 classroom hours (45 OPI professional development units), which is the equivalent of 3 university credits. This is a self-paced course, but do not expect to complete it in one sitting! Course participants must be comfortable working independently and be self-motivated to complete all work within the flexible time frame. WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU DON'T REGISTER FOR MORE THAN TWO COURSES AT ONE TIME.
Instructor: Michele McGuire (email@example.com)
Registration fee: $365
Credit: 45 OPI Professional Development Units or 3 Semester Credits (semester credit is offered through the University of Montana and is an additional fee of $155; registration forms available in the course Moodle.)
Cost savings: Three U of M Undergraduate credits would cost you $1,266.40. Three U of M Graduate credits would cost you $1,438. WMPLC's courses save you 59% and 64% respectively; but can't be used towards a degree program. They CAN be used for salary schedules and license renewal.
THE COURSE PROCESS:
* Complete this form.
* Within a few days, you will receive an invoice via email.
* Pay the invoice/registration fee (online or by check) in order to begin.
* You will receive a username and password and steps to access the Moodle course.
* The instructor will send an introductory email and you may begin the class.
* If you are taking the course for OPI professional development units, WMPLC will send you them upon completion of the semester.
* If you are taking the course for University credits, you will need to send the completed semester credit form and payment to your instructor by the end of the semester for which you are enrolled. The instructor will collect the UM credit paperwork and payments from all participants and send them together to the University of Montana by August 15, 2023 (summer term), December 1, 2023 (fall term), May 15, 2024 (spring term), or August 15, 2024 (summer term). The participant’s paperwork will be submitted to UM for the term in which they finish the coursework.
* Registrants have one year from the term of registration to complete their course. Ex: If you register in February 2023, you have until May 15, 2024 to complete the course.
Obtaining copies of the books: Check your school /district or local library. Amazon and other online booksellers often have used copies available. The instructor is available to assist with locating copies, if needed.
Registration BONUS: When you register for an IEFA course, if we have the books for the course in stock, we will send them to you for free! If we don't have them in stock, we will send you at least 2 titles related to the course for which you are registered.
Event Number: 24521007
EDU 455 EDU 555
Register at https://forms.gle/ZDmhd1hM12iz7Uh77