Self-Paced, Online Moodle Course
Foundations of IEFA & Classroom Integration K-12
Designed for preservice and inservice teachers of grades K-12, this self-paced online course builds knowledge of Indian Education for all by first focusing on its foundation in multicultural education theory. Participants will develop a personal rationale for Indian Education for all (IEFA) and build the skills necessary to thoughtfully integrate (IEFA) into the content areas and grade levels they teach, including but not limited to language arts, social studies, science, visual arts, music, and library-media.
Through reading, viewing, lecture, and examination of high-quality and authentic literature and teaching materials, participants will explore a variety of literature and professional teaching materials, learn to distinguish which materials are of the highest quality, and develop strategies and lesson plans for immediate integration of IEFA into their classrooms.
1. Become familiar with major Multicultural Education theorists, including James Banks and Sonja Nieto.
2. Understand the history of the Indian Education for All Act, from the constitutional convention through the school funding lawsuits to passage of the IEFA Act (MCA-20-1- 501).
3. Dive deeply into the Seven Essential Understanding Regarding Montana Indians.
4. Develop a personal rationale for Indian Education for All.
5. Explore literature appropriate to their content area and grade level for use in integrating IEFA into their curriculum, and create an annotated bibliography of useful resources.
6. Utilize literature selection criteria and tools.
7. Design two classroom lessons that integrate the materials and concepts covered.
8. Create an integrated teaching unit or other instructor approved final project (graduate credit only).
This course is the equivalent to 45 classroom hours (45 OPI renewal units), which is the equivalent of 3 university credits. This is a self-paced course, but do not expect to complete it in one sitting! Course participants must be comfortable working independently and be self-motivated to complete all work within the flexible time frame.
Registration fee: $350
Credit: 45 OPI Renewal Units or 3 Semester Credits (semester credit is offered through the University of Montana and is an additional fee of $155. The course instructor will provide a separate registration form). The total cost savings is 50% by going through WMPLC to get university continuing education credits.
THE COURSE PROCESS:
* Complete this form.
* Within a few days, you will receive an invoice via email.
* Pay the invoice/registration fee (online or by check) in order to begin.
* You will receive a username and password and steps to access the Moodle course.
* The instructor will send an introductory email and you may begin the class.
* If you are taking the course for OPI renewal units, WMPLC will send you OPI renewal units upon completion of the semester.
* If you are taking the course for University credits, the semester credit registration form will be shared with you when your registration is received. You will then need to send the completed semester credit form and payment to your instructor by the end of the semester for which you are enrolled. The instructor will collect the UM credit paperwork and payments from all participants and send them together to the University of Montana by December 30, 2021 (fall term), May 15, 2022 (spring term), or August 31, 2022 (summer term). The participant’s paperwork will be submitted to UM for the term in which they finish the coursework.
Obtaining copies of the books: Check your school /district or local library. Amazon and other online booksellers often have used copies available. The instructor is available to assist with locating copies, if needed.
Registration BONUS: When you register for an IEFA course, if we have the books for the course in stock, we will send them to you for free! If we don't have them in stock, we will send you at least 2 titles related to the course for which you are registered.
Instructor: Erin Lipkind email@example.com
Event Number: 22521004
EDU 455 EDU 555
Register at: https://forms.gle/oJV74s5DP1XP74Vr7