Indian Education for All Online Book Club Course
The Seven Essential Understandings Regarding Montana Indians
This self-paced online course is designed for educators needing an introduction to or wishing to expand their existing knowledge of Montana’s Indian Education for All Law (Montana Code Annotated 20-1-501 1999) and the Seven Essential Understandings Regarding Montana Indians. Educators of all grades and content areas will build background knowledge and develop lesson plans that focus on and dig deeper into each Essential Understanding. These lessons are intended to be used in participants’ classrooms.
The primary texts are:
*The Framework: A Practical Guide for Montana Teachers and Administrators Implementing Indian Education for All by Tammy Elser (PDF available through OPI)
*Who will Tell my Brother? by Marlene Carvel
*Do all Indians Live in Tipis (selections to be provided by the instructor)
*Lies my Teachers Told Me by James W. Loewen (selections to be provided by the instructor)
*Montana Tribal Histories: Educators Resource Guide by Julie Cajune (PDF available through OPI)
*History and Foundation of American Indian Education by Stan Juneau (PDF available through OPI)
*Keeping Promises: What is Sovereignty and Other Questions about Indian Country by Betty Reid and Ben Winton
*Assorted articles and internet sources provided by the instructor
Through readings, discussion forums and examination of high-quality teaching materials, participants will explore a variety of literature, articles and professional teaching materials and develop one lesson plan each week of the course and a final project (two for graduate credit) for the immediate integration of IEFA into their classrooms.
This course is the equivalent to 30 classroom hours (30 OPI renewal units), which is the equivalent of 2 university credits. This is a self-paced course, but do not expect to complete it in one sitting! Course participants must be comfortable working independently and be self-motivated to complete all work within the flexible time frame. WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU DON'T REGISTER FOR MORE THAN TWO COURSES AT ONE TIME.
Sindie Kennedy (email@example.com)
Erin Lipkind (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Michele McGuire (email@example.com)
Registration fee: $260
Credit: 30 OPI Renewal Units or 2 Semester Credits (semester credit is offered through the University of Montana and is an additional fee of $155; registration forms available in the course Moodle.)
Cost savings: Two U of M Undergraduate credits would cost you $952.60. Two U of M Graduate credits would cost you $1,067. WMPLC's courses save you 56% and 61% respectively; but can't be used towards a degree program. They CAN be used for salary schedules and license renewal.
THE COURSE PROCESS:
* Complete this form.
* Within a few days, you will receive an invoice via email.
* Pay the invoice/registration fee (online or by check) in order to begin.
* You will receive a username and password and steps to access the Moodle course.
* The instructor will send an introductory email and you may begin the class.
* If you are taking the course for OPI renewal units, WMPLC will send you OPI renewal units upon completion of the semester.
* If you are taking the course for University credits, you will need to send the completed semester credit form and payment to your instructor by the end of the semester for which you are enrolled. The instructor will collect the UM credit paperwork and payments from all participants and send them together to the University of Montana by August 15, 2022 (summer term), December 1, 2022 (fall term), May 15, 2023 (spring term), or August 15, 2023 (summer term). The participant’s paperwork will be submitted to UM for the term in which they finish the coursework.
Obtaining copies of the books: Check your school /district or local library. Amazon and other online booksellers often have used copies available. The instructor is available to assist with locating copies, if needed.
Registration BONUS: When you register for an IEFA course, if we have the books for the course in stock, we will send them to you for free! If we don't have them in stock, we will send you at least 2 titles related to the course for which you are registered.
Event Number: 23521013
EDU 455 EDU 555
Register at: https://forms.gle/kWzD2Ecr1VpjJQvd7