Indian Education for All Online Book Club Course
Montana Tribal Histories
This self-paced online Moodle course explores the Montana Tribal Histories Educators' Resource Guide developed by Julie Cajune and The Framework: A Practical Guide for Montana Teachers and Administrators Implementing Indian Education for All by Tammy Elser.
Through the readings, participants will examine primary and secondary documents that inform the tribal histories of Montana. Participants will utilize their critical analysis skills while using instructional strategies within the context of multicultural education.
The texts used in this course would be most appropriate for middle- and high-school-aged students; however, teachers of all grades and content areas will build background knowledge and learn instructional strategies that will facilitate the integration of Indian Education for All.
The primary texts are:
• Montana Tribal Histories: Educators Resource Guide and Companion DVD developed by Julie Cajune and published by the Montana Office of Public Instruction.
• The Framework: A Practical Guide for Montana Teachers and Administrators Implementing Indian Education for All developed by Tammy Elser and published by the Montana Office of Public Instruction.
Through readings and examinations of high-quality and authentic literature and teaching materials, participants will explore a variety of literature and professional teaching materials and develop strategies and two lesson plans for the immediate integration of IEFA into their classrooms.
This course is the equivalent to 30 classroom hours (30 OPI renewal units), which is the equivalent of 2 university credits. This is a self-paced course, but do not expect to complete it in one sitting! Course participants must be comfortable working independently and be self-motivated to complete all work within the flexible time frame.
Sindie Kennedy (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Erin Lipkind (email@example.com)
Michele McGuire (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Registration fee: $250
Credit: 30 OPI Renewal Units or 2 Semester Credits (semester credit is offered through the University of Montana and is an additional fee of $155. The course instructor will provide a separate registration form). The total cost savings is 41% by going through WMPLC to get university continuing education credits.
THE COURSE PROCESS:
* Complete this form.
* Within a few days, you will receive an invoice via email.
* Pay the invoice/registration fee (online or by check) in order to begin.
* You will receive a username and password and steps to access the Moodle course.
* The instructor will send an introductory email and you may begin the class.
* If you are taking the course for OPI renewal units, WMPLC will send you OPI renewal units upon completion of the semester.
* If you are taking the course for University credits, the semester credit registration form will be shared with you when your registration is received. You will then need to send the completed semester credit form and payment to your instructor by the end of the semester for which you are enrolled. The instructor will collect the UM credit paperwork and payments from all participants and send them together to the University of Montana by December 30, 2021 (fall term), May 15, 2022 (spring term), or August 31, 2022 (summer term). The participant’s paperwork will be submitted to UM for the term in which they finish the coursework.
Obtaining copies of the books: Check your school /district or local library. Amazon and other online booksellers often have used copies available. The instructor is available to assist with locating copies, if needed.
Registration BONUS: When you register for an IEFA course, if we have the books for the course in stock, we will send them to you for free! If we don't have them in stock, we will send you at least 2 titles related to the course for which you are registered.
Event Number: 22521016
EDU 455 EDU 555
Register at https://forms.gle/BrsKxoHeE3qAoMw7A