Indian Education for All Online Book Club Course
Early Childhood Literature in IEFA
This online, self-paced course covers IEFA literature for children ages 2-6. The course can be taken for 30 OPI renewal units or 2 University of Montana semester credits.
1. Read a number of American Indian-themed picture books suitable for use in the early education classroom.
2. Explore ways to give students concrete experiences to help them relate the text to real life, build vocabulary, and develop a respect for differences.
3. Learn or review the Seven Essential Understandings Regarding American Indians and the Montana Early Learning Standards.
4. Develop a number of lessons to teach in your classroom incorporating American Indian Literature.
5. Complete one final project of your choice.
6. Those seeking graduate credit will also choose one additional project.
Participants will explore resources developed by the Office of Public Instruction alongside primary source
documents and carefully selected literature. Most required materials will be provided in the course Moodle, though participants may need to seek additional resources at school or public libraries, book sellers, or online as part of the course requirements. Previous knowledge of IEFA and the Essential Understandings is helpful but not necessary for participants to successfully complete the course; prerequisite content will be provided for participant’s perusal.
This course is the equivalent to 30 classroom hours (30 OPI renewal units), which is the equivalent of 2 university credits. This is a self-paced course, but do not expect to complete it in one sitting! Course participants must be comfortable working independently and be self-motivated to complete all work within the flexible time frame. WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU DON'T REGISTER FOR MORE THAN TWO COURSES AT ONE TIME.
Michele McGuire email@example.com
Registration fee: $260
Credit: 30 OPI Renewal Units or 2 Semester Credits (semester credit is offered through the University of Montana and is an additional fee of $155; registration forms available in the course Moodle.)
Cost savings: Two U of M Undergraduate credits would cost you $952.60. Two U of M Graduate credits would cost you $1,067. WMPLC's courses save you 56% and 61% respectively; but can't be used towards a degree program. They CAN be used for salary schedules and license renewal.
THE COURSE PROCESS:
* Complete this form.
* Within a few days, you will receive an invoice via email.
* Pay the invoice/registration fee (online or by check) in order to begin.
* You will receive a username and password and steps to access the Moodle course.
* The instructor will send an introductory email and you may begin the class.
* If you are taking the course for OPI renewal units, WMPLC will send you OPI renewal units upon completion of the semester.
* If you are taking the course for University credits, you will need to send the completed semester credit form and payment to your instructor by the end of the semester for which you are enrolled. The instructor will collect the UM credit paperwork and payments from all participants and send them together to the University of Montana by August 15, 2022 (summer term), December 1, 2022 (fall term), May 15, 2023 (spring term), or August 15, 2023 (summer term). The participant’s paperwork will be submitted to UM for the term in which they finish the coursework.
Obtaining copies of the books: Check your school /district or local library. Amazon and other online booksellers often have used copies available. The instructor is available to assist with locating copies, if needed.
Registration BONUS: When you register for an IEFA course, if we have the books for the course in stock, we will send them to you for free! If we don't have them in stock, we will send you at least 2 titles related to the course for which you are registered.
Event Number: 23521006
EDU 455 EDU 555
Register at https://forms.gle/qtwRRmqVmZjpALQx9